If you or someone you love was injured in a South Carolina car accident, you may be facing staggering medical expenses and other unexpected hardships. Obtaining full and fair compensation from whoever is responsible for the crash can have a huge impact on your ability to recover and regain financial security again.
Most South Carolina car accident claims will go through the at-fault party’s insurance company, or possibly your own. Typically, these insurers push to settle as quickly as possible, often before victims understand the true extent of their losses. A lawyer can help you maximize your car accident claim value so that you are not underpaid.
Maximizing your claim means determining an appropriate value that takes your past, present, and future needs into account. People who are seriously injured in auto accidents often experience medical problems for years to come. Working with an experienced car accident attorney can reduce the risk of losing out on money that you might need to pay your bills, recoup lost wages, and truly be able to move on with your life.
Lawyers also know how to call the insurance company’s bluff. Unfortunately, insurers frequently call initial lowball settlement offers their “best” or “last” offer because they know injured parties are desperate. But attorneys know the true value of their clients’ claims and will fight back against unfair offers.
Questions? Call or contact us for a free consultation.
Do’s and Don’ts to Improve Your Chances at a Fair Car Accident Settlement
Here are some tips to help you improve your chances of obtaining the reasonable compensation you deserve:
- DO seek immediate medical attention, even if you do not look or feel injured.
- DO begin collecting evidence like photos and witness statements immediately.
- DO keep all of your bills, receipts, and other proof of expenses in one place.
- DO keep a journal of your health progress, including daily pain levels.
- DO review relevant insurance policies and their limits.
- DO hire a South Carolina car accident lawyer as your professional advocate and negotiator.
- DO get regular checkups to stay aware of your medical status.
Here’s what you should avoid:
- DON’T apologize, admit fault, or say you are “fine” to the police or other drivers.
- DON’T refuse or forget to notify the police and your insurance company.
- DON’T give statements to the other driver’s insurance provider or sign any medical release forms.
- DON’T discuss the accident on social media. It’s best to keep any information between your lawyer, your doctor, and a trusted family member or friend.
What Is the Average South Carolina Car Accident Settlement Amount?
Unfortunately, there’s no such thing as an average car accident settlement amount. A wide variety of factors will play a role in the amount you may be able to recover. Examples include:
- Extent of your injuries
- Insurance coverage of involved parties
- Age of the victim
- Any pre-existing conditions
- Overall impact of the crash on the victims’ quality of life
Compensation can include money for losses such as:
- Past, current and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Lost future earnings
- Property damage, for vehicles or other belongings
- Pain and suffering
- Punitive damages
In order for any such compensation to be awarded, the accident victim must have proof of the other party’s negligence, or recklessness. A lawyer can conduct an independent investigation of the accident and collect powerful evidence to support and maximize the value of your car accident claim.
When to Consult a Car Accident Attorney
If you were involved in a crash, you may be wondering whether you really to hire a car accident attorney. If your accident was a minor fender bender that did not result in an injury or significant damage, you likely do not require legal representation. However, it’s a good idea to consult a lawyer if any of the following apply to your situation:
- Your accident caused you or someone else serious injury.
- Someone died.
- Your injuries forced you to miss work.
- Your life was seriously altered because of your accident.
- It is unclear who was at fault for the crash.
- The police report seems inaccurate.
- You were hit by an uninsured or underinsured driver.
- You were involved in a hit-and-run accident.
- You feel confused or frustrated by insurance providers.
- You have issues with insurance limits or paying your bills.
Nearly all personal injury attorneys, including Land Parker Welch LLC, offer free consultations to car accident victims. If you are unsure about any part of the claims process, our car accident lawyers would be happy to review your case with no obligation.
How Can Land Parker Welch LLC Help Me?
The period after an accident can be overwhelming. The good news is that you don’t have to tackle the car accident claims process on your own. Our team can handle your claim from case open to case closed. We will:
- Meet with you for a free, confidential consultation
- Discuss your rights to compensation
- Notify the insurance company of your accident if you haven’t already
- Investigate your case carefully
- Anticipate any disputes from the insurance company and collect the evidence needed to refute their claims
- Negotiate for a maximum settlement on your behalf
- Discuss the pros and cons of trial, if negotiations fall through
- Keep you updated about the status of your case
It’s important to talk to a lawyer as soon as possible after a crash. Although the time limit to file an injury claim in South Carolina is three years from the date of the accident, your insurance policy likely has different notification deadlines. You don’t want to miss out on compensation on a technicality.
Contact a S.C. Car Accident Attorney Now
Land Parker Welch LLC has assisted thousands of people just like you in Manning and the surrounding areas in South Carolina. Our lawyers all graduated from law school right here in the Palmetto State, so we have a deep understanding of our state’s injury laws.
With 120 years of combined experience, we have both the background and the compassion needed to aggressively pursue the best possible results for you.
Ready to get started? Reach out to us now by calling or filling out our online contact form. All initial consultations are free.