Agriculture, livestock and manufacturing account for the lion’s share of the economy in Manning and communities in and around Clarendon County. Some industries are more likely to generate heavy truck traffic than others such as manufacturing and warehousing. Being located right off I-95 also gives the community the added advantage of being accessible for interstate truck traffic. While we all benefit from a growing and strong economy, heavy truck traffic on I-95 and other roads in town can also lead to collisions.
If you have been involved in a crash with a large commercial vehicle, you should call a truck crash lawyer who understands the trucking industry and how these serious wrecks can happen. With more than 120 years of combined experience fighting for the rights of injury victims, the attorneys of Land Parker Welch LLC, can provide the legal help you need.
We are a family-run law firm with a heart for helping others. We serve the communities of Bishopville, Mayesville, Summerton, Sumter and Turbeville. If you have suffered injuries or lost a dear loved one in a crash, you owe it to yourself to talk to one of our dedicated truck accident lawyers. The call is free, so contact us today.
What Makes Truck Accidents Different from Other Accidents in South Carolina?
No two cases are the same. When it comes to semi-truck accidents, they are nothing like car crashes. Here’s what you should expect:
Investigation – Within minutes of the crash, the truck driver will have a senior risk manager at the trucking company on the phone. The company will dispatch investigators to the scene to document and record everything. Investigators often “clean up” the scene, hide skid marks or conceal other evidence of their driver’s negligence. They may collect data from the EDR (event data recorder) and fight to prevent you from accessing it. In short, you need attorneys who know these tricks and know-how to fight to preserve evidence.
Serious injuries –Trucking accidents involve small vehicles and large commercial vehicles that often weigh as much as 40 tons or more. Some trucks carry hazardous chemicals, others use straps and tarps to hold freight, and others may not be loaded properly. Injuries are far more likely to be catastrophic, and even low-speed accidents can result in fatalities. It is important to work with a lawyer who will focus on your medical care and help you to get the treatment you need.
Multiple defendants – Unlike car accidents, truck accidents may involve negligent:
- Truck drivers
- Freight brokers
- Shipping warehouses
- Trucking companies
- Defective parts manufacturers.
Your lawyer should know how to determine the cause of a truck accident and to identify all parties who should be held responsible for it.
Many regulations – Most truck accidents don’t just involve a traffic violation. Instead, truck drivers often violate federal or state regulations that are designed to protect the public. In many cases, the company itself may be responsible for regulatory violations. These may include:
- Hours of service (driving too many hours or working too long)
- Driving on restricted roads
- Overloaded/overweight violations
- Improper cargo loads
- HAZMAT violations
- Talking or texting on a cell phone.
After a tractor-trailer accident, call Land Parker Welch LLC, for a free consultation. The sooner we can get started, the better we can help you to pursue compensation for your injuries.
How Can a Lawyer Help You After a South Carolina Truck Crash?
For decades, our law firm has helped people to resolve their claims against major trucking companies. Here’s how our firm approaches trucking accident cases in South Carolina:
- Fast investigation – The moment you call, we will immediately get to work investigating your accident and gathering helpful evidence. This includes site inspections, photographing damaged vehicles and interviewing witnesses.
- Insurance research – Often, trucking companies are self-insured or covered by large commercial policies. We will immediately put these companies on notice that we represent you. We will also look for all other potential sources of recovery.
- Settlement negotiations – Negotiating a personal injury settlement is an art and a science. Insurance companies train their adjusters to look for weaknesses in your case. If they think you will take less, that’s what you’ll get. When we are involved, we will handle this for you. If they are not offering a reasonable settlement, we will advise you on your options.
- Skilled trial lawyers – If the insurance company won’t pay the claim, we will not be afraid to take on the fight. Our experienced trial lawyers have years of experience fighting cases to trial.
What Are Common Causes of Truck Accidents in South Carolina?
These are among the most common causes of truck accidents that our lawyers have encountered over the years while handling claims on behalf of victims and their families in Manning and surrounding areas:
- Distracted driving – This includes eating and driving, cell phone use, texting, operating dashboard controls or reading maps.
- Alcohol/drug impairment – As crazy as it may sound, many truck drivers operate massive 80,000-pound trucks under the influence of drugs or alcohol. This includes certain prescription medications.
- Fatigue – Drowsy driving can be as dangerous as drunk driving. When drivers try to “game” the system by running forged logbooks or driving past their hours of service to make more money, they can become fatigued and exhausted, leading to serious or fatal collisions.
- Inspections/maintenance – Poor maintenance or failing to perform inspections can lead to serious accidents as well.
- Poorly loaded cargo – Some drivers get lazy and forget to check their cargo before driving each day. Maybe they fail to check their tandems to ensure that the load is evenly distributed. These critical errors can make the truck harder to steer or stop.
How Much Compensation Can I Recover if a Truck Injures Me in South Carolina?
If a truck injures you in South Carolina, you may bring a claim against those who are responsible for causing your injuries. How much you recover will depend on a number of factors, such as:
- The number of medical expenses you incurred
- Any reasonably anticipated medical expenses you will incur in the future
- Your lost income and wages
- Any disfigurement, scarring or permanent disabilities
- Your pain and suffering
- Verifiable emotional distress.
If you have lost someone you love, you and your close family members may be entitled to collect compensation for wrongful death. These damages typically include:
- The cost of burial and funeral expenses
- Any final medical expenses
- Lost financial support
- Lost love and affection.
Our South Carolina Truck Accident Attorneys Are Ready to Help You
A Manning truck accident attorney from Land Parker Welch LLC can get to work today by helping to investigate your case and prove your injuries. Don’t wait too long, or you could lose your right to recover. Our fee is entirely contingent on your recovery, meaning we don’t get paid unless you do. This means you have absolutely no risk and no obligation. Contact us anytime to schedule your free consultation with an experienced truck accident lawyer.